Monday, November 10, 2008

woaw nelly

OK. Clearly I've hit a spot here!

I haven't installed a site meter here (next job!) but I can already tell that large is clocking up a lot of traffic.

How exciting!

But guys, I am really needing some sign ups to make the blog run. I need posts! Despite my appearance of being full of good ideas and having time to implement them I am seriously flying by the seat of my pants.

These pants to be more precise.
Made by me at our last craft weekend in lightweight slightly stretch denim and I love them. The pattern is from Ottobre magazine (2/2007) in size 50. I should have cut a 52, but the 52 tends to be a bit big on me and I figured since the fabric had some give, I should go the smaller size. Next time I'll go the 52 even though I might need to slightly narrow the waist. Next time too, I'll do the fly topstitching in a dark colour even though I like the contrast on the pockets.

The pattern is great otherwise. I used the longer of the two lengths the pattern comes in, and very slightly narrowed the section below the knee which had a very slight flare. It has a wide shaped almost yoke waistband that works really well for me because I have a big and low belly but relatively narrow hips.

I really like Ottobre magazine (I get the kid ones as well as woman) and in Australia I subscribe through Crafty Mamas instead of direct from Ottobre, because Lisa at Crafty Mamas is totally lovely and helpful and because she doesn't roll over your subscription without telling you like the publishers do.

I don't need to alter the Ottobre patterns too much (I take a bit off the the sides of pants and skirts just under the waistband to compensate for the hips thing) and I like enough of their clothes to make it worthwhile subscribing. I really like that they use real looking people as models, including older and larger women, and the clothes suit my lifestyle without being too daggy.

When I have more time (and the day is fast approaching) I'll go back to drafting my own patterns like I used to. If you are considering learning this skill I can but encourage you. For an upfront investment of time to create your base blocks you can make patterns you know will fit you perfectly every time. Magazines like Ottobre still have their place mind you, inspiration and finer pattern details are always a great addition to your base.

I learned drafting here in Melbourne at the CAE and the same class is still taught with the same tutor and he's excellent and there's a range of related classes too. Hmm perhaps time I considered a refresher...

As for the shirt, I'm not really in love with this. It is a hand me down from my sister and it isn't really my colour or general style choice, and yet somehow I seem to wear it anyway. The fabric is nice, a kind of thickish but loose weave naturalish cotton that seems to give more in areas that need it, making it a bit less sack like. Maybe.

Okay gotta go. Please oh please contact me and sign up to do some posts. Even if it is just a little thought or a photo. I'd also be way happy to post questions here on behalf of readers to solicit advice and tips from other readers. So, you know, drop me a line! Now!!

8 comments:

jessica said...

i don't have anything to contribute right this instant but you can count on me to come up with something in the near future. hmm. i'll have to think about this.

thanks, sooz!

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Those are great pants, they look nice and comfortable too. The shirt isn't a great color for you,but the style is good. If it is mostly cotton, how about over-dyeing it?

Kimmie said...

Oh, I like those pants, they're cute! I have a terrible time finding pants because they're always too long or weirdly proportioned.

I usually end up with Just My Size stretch denims which aren't 'just my size' but are close enough.

Unknown said...

Just found this through Whip up! Will definitely blogline it so I can keep an eye on the great goodness. I love crafting and want to make more stuff my size....

Crafty Mama said...

Yay!!! I'm a plus size Crafty Mama- how cool that I found this new Blog!!

When I have a little more time, I would love to contribute!

Love these pants, how comfy looking. I am currently living in my Otto YOGA pants.

Anyway, excellent blog!

Kate said...

Congratulations on a brilliant idea!

I went shopping for a wedding outfit last weekend and was told by the shop owner I would be better off going home and sewing something as what I was wearing was better suited to me than anything she had for sale. LOL (I could have added better made and better quality fabric too)

I would love some opinions on hairstyles for plus size women. Could not find anything out on the net.

Can you tell me what size 52 equates to as I am considering subscribing to Ottobre but not sure if it will fit me ;-)

Kate

sooz said...

Hi Kate,
I think 52 translates to about a 20 in Australia - at least it does for me. Maybe a fraction bigger? I find this a hard question to answer because if I take my measurements and look at patterns (or size charts in online shops) I am always bigger than this (something like 24), but if I make/buy the clothes in that size they are enormous! So I take a 20 most of the time in shops (sometimes maybe an 18) and with Ottobre I am usually a 52 (though I sometimes have to decrease a few bits). I don't know what this translates to in US sizes. Does that help?

Kate said...

Thanks for the reply sooz. That is exactly what I was wanting to know. I will have to get a subscription for myself, might sugest it to DH for christmas!

Kate